USA Immigration Updates

usaUSA Immigration Updates

Eligible H-4 Spouses May Now Apply for Employment Authorization Document

As of May 26, 2015, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) finally began accepting applications for employment authorization documents (EADs) from qualifying H-4 spouses of H-1B temporary work visa holders. USCIS has published an updated form with instructions, filing tips and FAQ on its Web site. The USCIS director, Leon Rodriguez, announced on May 28 that the Department of Homeland Security is extending the employment authorization eligibility for certain H-4 visa holders who are in the process of obtaining a Green Card or undergoing PERM processing.

US proposes to expand work permits of foreign students

Aiming to attract more students from abroad, including India, the Obama administration has proposed to provide six-year work permit to certain category of foreigners who come to study in the US. The move, likely to benefit Indian students the most is being opposed by a top Republican lawmaker. According to new regulations proposed by the Department of Homeland Security, foreign students in science, technology, engineering and maths collectively called STEM would be allowed to work in the US for six years – three years after finishing an undergraduate program, and then if it is needed, another three years after a graduate programme.

U.S. Outlines New Rules for H-1B Working-Visa Holders

The U.S. has outlined plans for new rules for holders of H-1B, or skilled-worker, visas, making the application process more expensive and potentially costing companies millions of dollars. The draft guidelines say that employers of H-1B visa holders must now file an amended visa application along with a Labor Condition Application if a foreign employee shifts to a work site outside the area covered by the original visa.