Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presents his third Union Budget by proposing to keep the deficit at 3.5 per cent of GDP in 2016-17.
There are Nine pillars of the Budget which include Governance, ease of doing business, fiscal discipline, tax reforms, Agriculture and farmers welfare , Rural sector with focus on employment , social sector with healthcare , Educational skills and job creation , Infrastructure and investment and financial sector .
- Growth of GDP has accelerated to 7.6% .CPI inflation has declined to 5.4%
- Foreign exchange reserves are at the highest ever level
- Forex Reserves are at highest ever level, have reached their highest mark at $350 billion
- Current account deficit has declined from 18.4 billion US dollars in 1st half of last year to 14.4 billion this year
- Govt has to prioritize expenditure. Focus on rural and social sectors, infrastructure and recapitalization of banks
- Nominal premium and highest ever compensation in case of crop loss under the PM Fasal Bima Yojna-
- Total allocation for agriculture and farmer welfare at Rs 35984 crores
- 28.5 lakh heactares of land wil be brought under irrigation.
- 5 lakh acres to be brought under organic farming over a three year period.
- Rs 60,000 crore for recharging of ground water recharging as there is urgent need to focus on drought hit areas cluster development for water conservation.
- A dedicated irrigation fund worth Rs 20,000 crore to be set up under NABARD
- Rs 19,000 crore to be allocated for Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
Allocation to PM Fasal Bima Yojana for 2016/17 is Rs. 5500 crores
- A unified agricultural e-market platform will be dedicated to nation on birthday of Dr. BR Ambedkar this year
- Nominal premium and highest ever compensation in case of crop loss under the PM Fasal Bima Yojna.
- Govt is committed to achieve 100% village electrification by 1st May 2018
Sum of Rs 2.87 lakh crore will be given as grant in aid to gram panchayat,municipalities as pr 14th finance comm recommendation.
65 eligible habitats to be connected via 2.23 lakh kms of road.Current construction pace is 100 kms per day
For rural development as a whole I have allocated Rs 87765 crores in this budget
- Rs. 38,500 crore for Mahtma Gandhi MGNREGA for 2016-17
- Swacch Bharat Abhiyan allocated Rs.9,500 crores.
- Hub to support SC/ST entrpreneurs
- Government is launching a new initiative to provide cooking gas to BPL families with state support.
- LPG connections to be provided under the name of women members of family: Rs 2000 crore allocated for 5 years for BPL families.
- 2.87 lakh crore grants to gram panchayats and municipalities – a quantum jump of 228%.
- 300 urban clusters to be set up under Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission
- Four schemes for animal welfare.
- Infrastructure and agriculture cess to be levied.
- Excise duty raised from 10 to 15 per cent on tobacco products other than beedis
- 1 per cent service charge on purchase of luxury cars over Rs. 10 lakh and in-cash purchase of goods and services over Rs. 2 lakh.
- SUVs, Luxury cars to be more expensive. 4% high capacity tax for SUVs.
- Companies with revenue less than Rs 5 crore to be taxed at 29% plus surcharge
- Limited tax compliance window from Jun 1 – Sep 30 for declaring undisclosed income at 45% incl. surcharge and penalties
- Excise 1 per cent imposed on articles of jewellery, excluding silver.
- 0.5 per cent Krishi Kalyan Cess to be levied on all services.
- Pollution cess of 1 per cent on small petrol, LPG and CNG cars; 2.5 per cent on diesel cars of certain specifications; 4 per cent on higher-end models.
- Dividend in excess of Rs. 10 lakh per annum to be taxed at additional 10 per cent.
- No changes have been made to existing income tax slabs. For tax payers earning below Rs 5 lakh, ceiling on tax rebate has been increased by Rs 3,000.
- Rs 1,000 crore allocated for new EPF (Employees’ Provident Fund) scheme
- Govt. will pay EPF contribution of 8.33% for all new employees for first three years
- Deduction for rent paid will be raised from Rs 20,000 to Rs 60,000 to benefit those living in rented houses.
- Additional exemption of Rs. 50,000 for housing loans up to Rs. 35 lakh, provided cost of house is not above Rs. 50 lakh.
- Service tax exempted for housing construction of houses less than 60 sq. m
- 15 per cent surcharge on income above Rs. 1 crore
- A National Dialysis Services Program will be introduced under National Health Mission
Govt will launch a new health protection scheme which will provide health cover upto Rs 1 lakh per family
- 2.2 lakh renal patients added every year in India. Basic dialysis equipment gets some relief.
- A new health protection scheme for health cover upto 1 lakh per family.
- National Dialysis Service Prog with funds thru PPP mode to provide dialysis at all district hospitals.
- Senior citizens will get additional healthcare cover of Rs 30,000 under the new scheme
- PM Jan Aushadhi Yojana to be strengthened, 300 generic drug store to be opened
- Scheme to get Rs.500 cr for promoting entrepreneurship among SC/ST
- Rs. 1000 cr set aside for higher education financing
- 10 public and 10 private educational institutions to be made world-class.
- Objective to skill 1 crore youth in the next 3 years under the PM Kaushal Vikas Yojna
- 1500 Multi skill training institutes will be set up.
- Digital repository for all school leaving certificates and diplomas. Rs. 1,000 crore for higher education financing.
- Rs. 1,700 crore for 1500 multi-skill development centres.
- 62 new navodaya vidyalayas to provide quality education
- Digital literacy scheme to be launched to cover 6 crore additional rural households
- Entrepreneurship training to be provided across schools, colleges and massive online courses.
- Objective to skill 1 crore youth in the next 3 years under the PM Kaushal Vikas Yojna-FM Jaitley
- National Skill Development Mission has imparted training to 76 lakh youth. 1500 Multi-skill training institutes to be set up.
- Rs. 3000 crore earmarked for nuclear power generation
- Govt drawing comprehensive plan to be implemented in next 15-20 years for exploiting nuclear energy
- Govt to provide incentive for deepwater gas exploration
- Deepwater gas new disc to get calibrated market freedom, pre-determined ceiling price based on landed price of alternate fuels.
- Investments and infrastructure
- Allocate Rs55,000 Crores for roads and highways, total investment in Road Sector would be Rs97,000 crore
- Rs. 27,000 crore to be spent on roadways
- 65 eligible habitats to be connected via 2.23 lakh kms of road. Current construction pace is 100 kms/day
- Shops to be given option to remain open all seven days in a week across markets.
- India’s highest-ever production of motor vehicles was recorded in 2015
- Total outlay for infrastructure in Budget 2016 now stands at Rs. 2,21,246 crore
- New greenfield ports to be developed on east and west coasts
- Revival of underserved airports. Centre to Partner with States to revive small airports for regional connectivity
- 100 per cent FDI in marketing of food products produced and marketed in India
- Dept. of Disinvestment to be renamed as Dept. of Investment and Public Asset Management
- Govt will amend Motor Vehicle Act in passenger vehicle segment to allow innovation.
- MAT will be applicable for startups that qualify for 100 per cent tax exemption
- Direct tax proposals result in revenue loss of Rs.1060 crore, indirect tax proposals result in gain of Rs.20,670 crore
- Proposed an allocation of Rs 25000 crores in #UnionBudget2016 towards recapitalization of public sector banks
- Banks get a big boost: Rs 25,000 crore towards recapitalisation of public sector banks. Jaitley says: Banking Board Bureau will be operationalised, we stand solidly behind public sector banks.
- Target of disbursement under MUDRA increased to 1,80,000 crore
- Process of transfer of government stake in IDBI Bank below 50% started
- General Insurance companies will be listed in the stock exchange
- Govt to increase ATMs, micro-ATMs in post offices in next three years