Telangana government has decided to continue zonal system for education and employment. Telangana will have seven zones and two multi-zones. The new zonal system will come into effect after the assent of the President.
The need for creation of new zones arose after the creation of 31 districts in Telangana and to ensure that injustice was not done to employees in transfers and recruitments, an official press release explained. Mostly Northern districts of the state are in Multi-Zone 1 and Southern districts are in Multi-Zone 2.
* Kaleshwaram zone (28.29 lakh population): Bhupalpally, Mancherial, Asifabad, peddapalli
* Basara Zone (39.74 lakh population): Adilabad, Nirmal, Nizamabad, Jagatala
* Rajanna Zone (43.09 lakh population): Karimnagar, Siddipet, Sircilla, Kamareddy, Medak
* Bhadradri Zone (50.44 lakh population): Kothagudem, Khammam, Mahabubabad, Warangal Rural, Warangal Urban
* Yadadri zone (45.23 lakh population): Suryapet, Nalgonda, Bhuvanagiri, Janagama
* Charminar Zone (1.03 crore population): Hyderabad, Ranga Reddy, Medchal, Sangar Reddy
* Jogalamba zone (44.63 lakh population): Mahabubnagar, Wanaparthy, Gadwala, Nagarakoon, Vikarabad
* Multi Zone 1 (1.61 crore population): Kaleshwaram, Basara, Rajanna, Bhadradri
* Multi Zone 2 (1.88 crore population): Yadadri, Charminar, Jogalam