Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) Chief Scientist and Head, Biology Division Prof U S N Murthy has been elected as ‘Fellow of Royal Entomological Society (FRES), London on June 6. The Fellows were nomited and selected for their significant contribution towards entomology, thus joining the ranks of such eminent scientist as Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallance, a release from IICT said here today. The Royal Entomological Society plays a National and International role in disseminating information about entomology and its allied subjects. In addition to FRES honor, Prof Murthy has been elected as a Fellow National Academy ofBiological Sciences (FNABS), Fellow Applied Biotechnology & Pharmacy (FABAP), Fellow Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences (APAS) and member National Academy of Sciences (MNASc). He has also received the prestigious ‘eNortheast Award-2011’ for the commendable work and scaling up in Arunachal Pradesh for the Project entitled ‘Database Management System andGeographical Information System for Management of Malaria in Arunachal Pradesh’, the release added.
Complete Bio-Data of U S N Murthy
Director Grade Scientist / Scientist ‘G’,
Head, Biology Division,
Indian Institute of Chemical Technology,
Hyderabad – 500 007.
* Ph.D. Zoology (Medical Entomology) from Osmania University 1990
* Master’s Degree (Zoology) from Andhra University 1980
* PG Diploma in Environmental Management from University of Hyderabad during 1996-97
Awards and Honors:
* Awarded World Health Organisation and Tropical Disease Research, Geneva fellowship to attend the course on Biology of Disease Vectors in Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA 992)
* Awarded Best Project performance by Government of Mizoram for the project on Integrated
Sericulture for Rural Development. (2002)
* Awarded Outstanding performance by Director, IICT for the project on SAMADHAN KENDRA an
Information Technology tool for the rural development in AP. (Sponsored by Ministry of Information
Technology, Govt of India, New Delhi)
* Received the award for “Project of Excellence” by Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh for the year 2005-06.
Academic Profile: * Worked as Research Assistant at Vector Control Research Center, Pondicherry, during 1981-1983
* Worked as Senior Research Assistant at CSR & TI, Mysore, during 1983-84
* Working as Scientist at Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad, till date
* Integrated Vector Management (IVM)
* Biological control of Dipteran pests.
* Established New Malaria Vector Anopheles subpictus in South East India.
* New Record of Trichopria khandalus a biocontrol agent of Uzifly Exorista bombycis.
Developed software for probit analysis for estimating the lethal doses in bioassay studies.
* Developed software for estimating the entire aerodynamic parameters of fliers.
* Developed Database for uzifly (Exorista bombycis) a pest of silkworm.
* Developed Database management system for the integrated control of Filariasis.
* Developed an Advanced Forecasting model on the Malaria by using Expert System.
* Developed Database management system for the integrated control of Malaria in Arunachal Pradesh.
* Advanced Course in Bioinformatics (ACB) (Jointly organized by IICT, C-DAC and JNTU, Hyderabad)
* ENVIS-CENTRE (Environmental Information System on Bioinformatics-Vector Control): Sponsored by
WORLD BANK ASSISTANCE PROGRAMME through MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND
FORESTS, NEW DELHI, GOVT. INDIA
* Fellow – National Academy of Biological Sciences 2011 (FNABS)
* Fellow – Association of Biotechnology and Pharmacy 2010 (FABP)
* Fellow – Indian Academy of Social Sciences 2010
* Fellow – Applied Zoologists Research Association 2006
USA : Anthropod Infectious disease laboratory, Colorado State University
UK : Heriot-Watt Univeristy, Edinburgh & London School of Tropical Hygiene and Medicine
Hungary : Institute of Isotopes of Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest
Czech Republic : Institute of Public Health
Germany : University of Heidelberg
UAE : IInd Middle East Conference on Health Informatics
Conferences Attended : 51
Patents/Copyrights : 13
Publications : 106