Union finance minister Arun Jaitley presented the combined Union budget and the Railway budget in Parliament .
Here are the highlights of Railway Budget 2017
- Rail safety fund with corpus of Rs 100,000 crore will be created over a period of 5 years
- By 2019, all coaches of Indian Railways will be fitted with Bio-toilets.
- 500 stations to be made differently abled-friendly by providing lifts and escalators
- Service charges on e-tickets booked through IRCTC will be withdrawn.
- Dedicated trains for pilgrimage and tourism will be launched .
- A new metro rail policy will be announced. This is expected to open up new jobs for the youth
- Unmanned railway level crossings to be eliminated by 2020.
- For Railways developments a fund of 1,31,000 crores allocated out of which center to help 55,000 crores
- New Railway lines about 3500 km
- Solar power in 7 thousand stations
- Clean My Couch – SMS facility